Canada – US
Cross Border Tax
Understanding Canada – US taxPersonal Clients - Americans in Canada
The CRA imposes significant penalties on failure to file or late-filed foreign reporting forms, usually C$2,500 each failure. It is important that your return is complete when filed.
We are here to help you understand and navigate the complex Canada – US cross border tax system to achieve favorable tax results and ensure your tax compliance in both jurisdictions.
Cross border tax consultation
We will work as your tax advisor at every stage of your life to guide you including the following:
- Initial return planning when becoming a resident
- Final return planning at expatriation
- Analysis of treaty benefits and exposures
- Cross border real estate investment planning
- Choices of investment vehicles
- Sale of your home
- Gift and estate tax planning
Special US returns preparation
We also prepare the following returns:
- Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program (OVDP)
- Streamlined Offshore Procedures
- Renunciation of US citizenship
- Expatriation returns
- Part-year returns moving into the U.S.
- Part-year returns moving out of the U.S.
Annual cross border tax return preparation
Working closely with your US accountants, we will prepare all your Canadian income tax and informational returns:
- Canadian federal and provincial returns
- Canadian trust returns
- Canadian foreign reporting forms
- Canadian withholding tax forms
- Canadian foreign tax credit calculations
- Canadian Voluntary Disclosure Program (VDP) returns