The IRS has published some tips for choosing a tax return preparer:
- Check the person’s qualifications
- Check the preparer’s history
- Find out about their service fees
- Ask if they offer electronic filing
- Make sure the tax preparer is accessible
- Provide all records and receipts needed to prepare your return
- Never sign a blank return
- Review the entire return before signing it, and
- Make sure the preparer signs the form and includes his or her preparer tax identification number (PTIN).
For details, see IRS published document.